The importance of this role was never more evident as it was during Fiscal Year 2016, when Republicans stood together to stop several Democrat initiatives that would have continued Illinois’ tradition of unbalanced budgets, irresponsible spending and tax hikes. Taxpayers benefitted this last fiscal year when Republicans did the following:
- Defeated the Democrat FY17 spending plan ($7 billion out of balance) that would have raised personal income tax rates to more than 5.5%;
- Sustained a veto of the Democrats’ FY16 unbalanced budget ($4 billion out of balance);
- Blocked repeated attempts by the Democrat supermajority to force a $3 billion tax hike on Illinois families to fund additional generous perks and benefits for unionized government employees;
- Blocked a Democrat attempt to bailout Chicago Public Schools with an additional $400 million in taxpayer funds; and
- Linked the June 30 bridge funding plan to comprehensive, constitutional pension reform.